Smoothies are one of the best ways to beat the heat and treat yourself to something sweet, healthy and tasty! After a very rainy spring, I am willing summer to come with this smoothie recipe. It will satisfy your sweet tooth and fill you up with superfoods, you are going to love it! Summer to me means ice cream and smoothies, and since we can’t always have ice cream for breakfast this is the next best thing. Creamy, bright and reminiscent of the minty ice cream we all loved as kiddos, this smoothie is truly as delicious as it is colorful. You would never even know it’s filled with good-for-you greens, protein and healthy fats!
While peppermint oil might not be something you typically keep at home in your pantry, it is an excellent ingredient to keep around for diffusing in the air, baking (hello, mint chocolate chip brownies) and of course, this smoothie. Pure peppermint oil is known to increase energy and focus when ingested and it also assists in digestion, specifically aiding symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Buy a bottle for this smoothie and keep it around for all of its amazing benefits, you will be glad you did!
Makes 1 Smoothie
- 4-6 ice cubes
- 1/2 C. unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 1/2 C. frozen spinach (or 1 C. raw spinach)
- 1/4 C. banana, sliced into chunks and frozen
- 1 scoop or serving of your favorite vanilla protein powder*
- 1-2 drops Pure Peppermint Oil (Must be food grade)
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- 1 T. cacao nibs, for sprinkling on top
*Note: If you want to keep this smoothie dairy-free and vegan, avoid using a protein powder that is whey or collagen based. I use and love Garden of Life Raw Organic Vanilla and Vega Vanilla Protein and Greens.
- Place the ice, almond milk, avocado, spinach, banana and protein powder into the high-powered blender of your choice and blend for two minutes on high-speed.
- Turn the blender off, remove the lid and scrape down the sides of the blender, making sure all of the ingredients are mixed well. If the smoothie is a little stiff, add additional almond milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you achieve your desired consistency.
- Add the peppermint oil one drop at a time along with the chia seeds and blend for one more minute. Be careful not to add anymore than two drops of peppermint oil, it is very strong!
- Pour the smoothie into the glass of your choice and top with cacao nibs for a chocolate-chip like treat. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag me @danimarielinds on Instagram and please don’t hesitate to leave questions below! I hope you love it and share with a friend!