Hello and Happy Monday, friends! I had so many ideas for my return to the blog this week, but none of them were as sweet, simple and perfectly suited for 4th of July as these s’mores bars. When was the last time you made a yummy, sticky s’more? Ooey goey marshmallow, slightly over-toasted, with melted chocolate smushed between two crispy graham crackers. If you’re like me, you add a smear of peanut butter for decadence and you double the marshmallows. Don’t knock it before you try it, mmkay?
As we know, s’mores can be extremely messy, especially if you add peanut butter. They also take a lot of planning ahead to make if you don’t already have a campfire burning. Don’t worry, I’ve got your s’mores cravings covered! Made like a classic rice krispie treat, these tasty little bars take only a few minutes to make and are full of your favorite s’mores flavors. I use my favorite honey & vanilla flavored gluten-free cereal to keep them gluten and dairy-free, but you can use the honey or graham flavored cereal that works best for you. Grab your marshmallows, turn on your favorite summer song and let’s (no) bake!
No Bake S’mores Bars
Makes Approximately 16 Servings
Gluten & Dairy-Free
- 5 1/2 cups gluten-free honey & vanilla cereal or graham cereal
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks, plus a few extra for sprinkling on top
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 7 C. mini marshmallows; divided into 6 C. and 1 C.
- 4 T. vegan butter or regular butter*
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
*Note: I have not tried this recipe using coconut oil or other oils. If you do decide to try using an alternative oil to melt your marshmallows, please leave a comment below to let me know how it went!
- Line a 9′ x 9′ or 13 x 9′ baking dish with parchment paper and butter all sides of the dish. This will keep the bars from sticking to the pan/paper and make them easier to remove from the pan once set. Using a 9′ x 9′ pan will make the bars thicker as shown in the pictures while a 13′ x 9′ will make the bars a bit thinner and wider. Use whatever you have!
- Next, mix together the dry cereal, chocolate chunks, kosher salt and 1 cup of the mini marshmallows in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a large pot on the stove, melt the vegan butter over medium heat and add in the remaining 6 cups of mini marshmallows. Stir together and keep stirring until the marshmallows have completely melted together. About 5 minutes or so.
- Remove the pot of melted marshmallow from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Working quickly and carefully (this is still a hot pot of marshmallow) pour the marshmallow mixture into the large bowl of cereal and stir together until everything is well coated. Transfer the mixture into the buttered pan.
- Then, using a piece of parchment paper, gently press the treats into the pan until evenly spread out. If you’d like, you can sprinkle a few extra chocolate chunks and marshmallows on top of the bars and gently press them in.
- Let the bars rest in the pan for at least one hour before removing them to slice into 16 bars and serve. These bars can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week, if they last that long!
My friends and family LOVE how easy and tasty these bars are and I know you will, too. Consider this the perfect excuse to have s’mores at your next BBQ or 4th of July celebration this year. Bonus points if you make them and bring them as a hostess gift or surprise treat. Happy summer and Happy 4th!